Three Dunlins

Three Dunlins

Wednesday 26 July 2017

A few waders in Deltebre.....


Hi !

I have been for holidays in Deltebre (Delta of Ebro river) in the Catalunian province of Tarragona  with my family for almost two weeks having two afternoons to go birding for a while.

As always it has been very interesting with many bird species that are very rare in my hometown such as flamingoes and ibises. 

Talking about waders I must admit that I didn't expect such high numbers of a few species due to the early dates (middle of July) but it was clear that the returning pass has started with strenght.

I wish I could go to this magnificient place for waders in august or september but familiar and work responsabilities don't alow me such luxury.

I saw  18 species,highlightining six turnstones, but I missed the Grey phalarope (local rarity) that appeared while I was in the beach with my soons. I tried to localize it, but I wasn't succesfull even if it lingered around  for about five days  (the Delta is huge with  many adecuate places for the bird).


The Kowa prepared to scope any detail in the horizon.


Three Black tailed godwits gave me the official welcome to the estuary.


Grey plovers (22ex) with some bar tailed godwits in between.


The redshanks were by far with the  territorial Black winged stilts the most numerous shorebirds.


A record photo for me with nine wood sandpipers together!!

I have seen them always in ones and twos.


At dusk and when the hopes of seeing one was vanising, five fast flying pranticoles appeared.


One adult heading the flight and the youngster following. This species breeds in the delta.


A solitary BWS was feeding frantically in the shallow marshes.


The first afternoon I saw only one ruff. In the next visit in another place I counted around 40.


The magnificient views of the observatory were you can enjoy with countless opportunities.


A lapwing in a well know site were there is lawn/grass culture . An oasis in the heart of the park.


 This is a special place without rice fields were many waders gather and gives ocassional rarities.


Whimbrel in the middle of the meadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment